Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I Let Manson In

I have a new quest – to cut down on the vast amount of television I’ve been watching lately.
But I can’t fully start until early June when the NHL hockey playoffs are finally over because it’s my favorite TV event of the year. The intensity and violence of the playoffs are exquisite and inspiring and provide me with some of my favorite viewing moments.
Okay, watching hockey every night for the next two months makes my TV cut-down pledge sound as sincere as a Charlie Sheen abstinence vow, but I am determined to cut back. Too much TV is turning me into a couch potato in the gravy boat of life, and my priorities need to change as I prepare to begin writing my second book.
Courting Disaster
I’m not proud of the next sentence, but maybe seeing it in print will help me straighten up. Two days ago on a Monday day off, I watched Judge Pirro at 9 a.m., Karen’s Court at 10, Judge Mathis at 11, Divorce Court at noon, Judge Alex at 1, Judge Joe Brown at 2, People’s Court at 3, Swift Justice at 4 and Judge Judy at 5.
Then when my family got home at 5:30, I suggested we all eat dinner in the living room where I watched Jeopardy followed by Wheel of Fortune, Big Bang Theory, an hour of Yankees-Twins baseball and finally the NCAA basketball championship game.
The Puck Drops Here
It’s true – ever since I finished writing “Crazy Lucky Dead” a month ago, I just decided to give myself a break and have watched a ton of TV. But it was like giving Charles Manson the keys to my house – I never should have done it, and now it needs to stop.
So tonight after work and after dinner, I’m heading upstairs to the computer room to begin putting together the outline for book 2. And go, Nashville Predators, go. Beat the Red Wings and everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment