Saturday, April 30, 2011

Jolly Good

Hear ye, hear ye: Announcing the arrival of Lord Richard Tweets of Alger along with Lady Edith Dinky of Roxborough and Lady Alice Tootsie of Sweetgum.
Those are people I know whose names have been changed to that of royalty, in honor of yesterday's British wedding of William and Kate. To get your own royal name, you first take the name “Lord” or “Lady” depending if you're a man or woman, then choose a grandparent's first name, the name of your first pet, and finally the street where you grew up. I would be Lord Sylvester Skippy of Englehardt.
Blimey
Wife Jenny was up at 3 a.m. yesterday to take in all the oohs and aahs associated with watching the fairy tale wedding, and I awoke at 6:15 a.m. in time to see the couple walk out of Westminster Abbey. I saw Kate's impressive dress and the carriage ride through the streets of London as the couple waved to millions of admiring Brits. I must admit, seeing the galloping gray horses and the men in bright red military uniforms and the queen in her yellow outfit and all the English citizens proudly waving flags – the 15 minutes I watched was pretty cool.
Royal Barf Bag
Perhaps some of the more interesting aspects of this royal extravaganza were the quick facts and odd news items associated with it. For example, Kate Middleton opted for traditional vows but did not say she would “obey” her husband, and 18 people in London were arrested during the ceremony for offenses ranging from breach of the peace to weapons possession. And a glassware company in China manufactured hundreds of mugs bearing the likenesses of the royal couple – except that Prince Harry was pictured next to Kate instead of Prince William.
General Electric introduced full-size refrigerators with both doors covered with a huge likeness of William and Kate hugging, while the cheapest gift I heard about was a wedding sick bag that sold for $5. Meanwhile, supposedly the most popular selling of all the wedding-inspired products has been royal wedding condoms, with the couple's faces emblazoned on the front of the cardboard package – nowhere else.
Book Update
Oh, my book. Two days ago, I mailed my entire manuscript to someone I know in Nashville who will give it to her friend who knows a couple of publishers, and I also mailed the first 50 pages of my script to an agent in Los Angeles who requested it. Nothing promised by anyone but at least there’s activity. Tally ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment