Wednesday, May 4, 2011

1-1 in the 9th

I’m not going political or religious with the whole Usama bin Laden thing, because it’s already been done to death. Pun intended and good riddance, UBL.
But thought I’d point out a bit of irony regarding how I heard the great news on Sunday. Some of you might have had the same experience watching ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball game between the New York Mets and Philadelphia.
Ironically, it was New York and Pennsylvania that were two of the three 9/11 terrorism sites, with D.C. being the other. When the 45,000 Philadelphia fans at Sunday’s ballgame started receiving the UBL news via texts and tweets in the 9th inning, they spontaneously stood and began cheering “USA, USA” over and over again with unbridled glee and pride.
But besides the NY-Pennsylvania irony, also ironic was the score of the game at that moment. It was 1-1 in the 9th – or 9/11.
445 and Losing
Here’s to a friend of mine who six months ago was 445 pounds and is now 290. Up until late 2010, he would just joke to me about his steadily increasing heft.
“When I read about the dangers of overeating, I gave up reading,” he once quipped.
“If I can’t eat in heaven, I’m not going,” he joked another time.
I saw him last week for the first time in three years and he’s starting to look healthy again. Good luck on that ultimate goal of 222.5 pounds – thereby losing 222.5 pounds, or exactly half your starting weight.
It’s This Sunday
To guys mostly, since guys are known for occasionally forgetting important dates – don’t forget that Mother’s Day is this Sunday. I totally messed up a past Mother’s Day by forgetting to buy a card or gift, and not even remembering a phone call to Mom. I mention this because it happened about five years ago, and I think my mother finally stopped crying…yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment