Wednesday, May 18, 2011

George Strait

I woke up Sunday morning with a post-it note stuck to my forehead. There was no message on it – it was just stuck to my forehead.
My wife and kids were out-of-state at my nephew’s high school graduation, and I stayed home to catch up on writing. I was on the couch Saturday night with laptop and notes when I fell asleep around 10 p.m., then slept non-stop until 8 a.m. Sunday.
Ten hours of sleep, which is unheard of for anyone anymore. Although, I do remember a friend of mine going to bed after a bad drunk one Friday night and sleeping for 36 straight hours. He finally woke up as bitter as a hermit is poor when he realized how long it took him to get sober.
Air Apparent
My family returned home from their trip Monday night and I picked them up at Nashville International Airport, where I found myself proud of my local airport. I walked into the terminal and heard live music coming from a lounge near the front entrance, and apparently a variety of bands perform at the Music City airport most days from 11 a.m. to about 8 p.m.
Then I heard, “This is George Strait. Welcome to Nashville,” piped over the airport’s public address system. Supposedly several country stars have taped various messages to welcome visitors, and those messages are played every 15 minutes or so. 
Nashville Airport plays well on its Music City theme, kind of like how Las Vegas has slot machines in their airport terminal. Experts say the first impression most people get of a city is the airport, and people walking through Nashville’s on Monday night looked happier than birds eating from a fresh-cut lawn as they passed the live-music lounge.
One more nice aspect of Nashville Airport: The rental car lots are only about 50 yards from the front terminal entrance, so you can simply walk to the cars. No long bus trip is needed to transport you to-and-from rental car lots, which is the case in most cities.
But for all their clever thinking, not everything at Nashville Airport is as sweet as Carrie Underwood’s smile. The airport has long been undergoing a large renovation project, which seems to be evolving slower than a twangy bluegrass ballad.

No comments:

Post a Comment