Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Latter

Should I post the link? Should I not?
I blogged a month ago about my home city of Nashville getting inundated every 13 years by millions of cicadas that look like locusts, and a discussion in my Journal Communications office led to the topic of how much money it would take for someone to actually eat one. The responses weren’t surprising.
“I’d do it for $1,000,” said one.
“Yeah, $1,000,” agreed another.
“It’d take $500 for me,” said a third.
Then, my turn.
“I’d eat one for 50 bucks,” I said foolishly. “It’s no big deal.”
Well, everyone attacked that assertion and word quickly reached our company owner, Bob. He ultimately pledged paying me the $50 himself if I ate a cicada on video for a http://cicadacentral.com website.
Journal writes and produces magazines and websites, among which are agriculture-based Tennessee Home & Farm and Illinois Partners. Jessy, one of our social media whizzes, created http://cicadacentral.com to educate those readers about the 13-year cicadas that swarm the two states for about five weeks.
Anyway, I agreed to cicada-dine and really wasn’t thinking about posting the link or writing about this today, but several people bugged me to do it. I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed. Probably the latter. Here it is on YouTube.
Diploma at 6
My six-year-old, Jenna, was part of a graduation-from-kindergarten event yesterday that had as much pomp as a commencement ceremony at West Point. She received a very professional-looking diploma and I bought my little girl a small bouquet of flowers to congratulate her on the achievement.
I am amazed what kids learn in kindergarten these days. Jenna already has a huge start on reading, can count by twos to 100, loves music, enjoys computers – plus likes just hanging with her friends and being a kid. Thank you, Mrs. Miller, for all you did for Jenna this year.
BTW: What a difference kindergarten is today compared to yesteryear. When I attended, I would pretty much pass kindergarten if I took a two-hour nap every afternoon and if I didn’t mess in my pants too many times during the year.
My mom told me that because of the latter, I barely graduated.

No comments:

Post a Comment