Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Paging Dr. Litwin

Good thing I'm mostly an optimist.
An old college chum called this past week and started light-heartedly razzing me about the book, saying I had no chance of ever getting it published because of the tough current market. After 10 minutes of his non-stop negativism, it kind of made me more determined to get it published – although I realize it's really out of my hands for the most part.
But I do know one thing: If I don't get this book published, this guy will never let me forget it. It'll be like breaking wind in an echo chamber – I'll never hear the end of it.
(I promised my wife this would be the only bathroom humor in my blogs from now on.)
Kevin Who?
How many Kevin Litwins can there be in the world? I mean, the last name of Litwin isn't like Smith or Jones or Jackson or Johnson.
Well, apparently there are a few Litwins out there as evidenced by my inability to register www.kevinlitwin.com for my website domain name. A Kevin Litwin in Illinois registered the name in 2009, although try and access that site today and you'll come up empty. But he still has it registered.
A quick aside: I actually talked by phone a couple years ago to a Kevin Litwin after stumbling upon his name on the Internet. He was a doctor working at that time in Phoenix, so I called his office and left a message to call me back. He did. We chatted for 15 minutes about our lives and the different ways that Litwin gets mispronounced and misspelled. I told him that I once got a letter addressed to Kevin Litfinger, and he once got one addressed to Kevin Lesion.
Books.com
Anyway, my upcoming website has been registered as www.kevinlitwinbooks.com and should be launched within the next week or two. Webmaster Jon Brooks suggested the name and I like it because it refers to 'books' plural. I plan on writing 7 or 11 books in my life, because those numbers rhyme with Kevin.
That might be weird reasoning and too lofty of a goal, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Kind of like the guy who says quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. He's done it dozens of times.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really suspect that the 7/11 book goal must subconsciously have something to do with dice or shooting craps and not rhyming with your name. As far as writing goes, you are a "natural", right? :)

    And maybe this old college chum can be killed off in your next mystery. He could be turned INTO "chum" - shark-bait style. I love a good shark story.

    It's tough to hold back my comments on Litfinger. I know where to begin, but not where to end. Enough said on that one.

    Despite that fact that my favorite hobby is hassling you in the office thoroughfare, I'm extremely excited about your book. I could be your number one fan! But not in the Annie Wilkes sort of way - in case you were worried.

    P.S.
    I had to look up the stuff about dice games to be clever. I wonder if you had to look up Annie Wilkes...

    ReplyDelete